Welcome to Charles W. Bursch Elementary School Library. Our library books are shevled by Accelerated Reading Levels and the Dewey Decimal System. We have books for all reading levels and categories. Please join us in our Reading Oasis during your free time for some silent reading. StoryTime is available for grades K-2 weekly. We have reading challenges and contest for all grades.
1) Respect Others - Use a soft voice
2) Care About Dewey - Keep books in proper order
3) Be Safe - Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself and walk!
4) Be Responsible - Take care of your books
5) Be Trustworthy - Bring books back on time
6) Read, Read, Read - For at least 30 minutes everyday.
LOST A BOOK?
If a book is lost or damaged it must be paid for as soon as possible. Payments may be in the form of a MONEY ORDER only made payable to Compton Unified School District. Students who owe money to the Library will not be allowed to check out books from the school's library. Payment is refundable if a lost book is found and returned by the school district.
Please see Ms. Jenkins about volunteering in our library.
FYI: All parents must be fingerprinted and approved through the district's parent center
What is Accelerated Reading?
AR is a program designed to encourage and motivate students to read. AR tests are built to test students comprehension of books they have read using an online computer program.
Goals and Points
Your child's teacher set goals for each student every trimester. Our library books are AR labeled and have quizzes available online for testing.
When can my child take test?
AR test can only be taken at school from 8:00am - 2:30pm. Books read at home can also be tested on at school.
- Please read the entire book before taking a test on it
- Do not take the test on books that you did not read but saw the movie
- Do not share answers
LIBRARY CLERK EXT. 53407
|Contact Tyreka Jenkins Tyreka Jenkins||Staff|
LIBRARY READING CHALLENGES
See Ms. Jenkins to participate in reading challenges
- Accelerated Reading Bingo
- AR Goals
- Book of the Month
- AR Points Club
- Six Flags Read to Succeed Program
- LA Clippers Read to Achieve Program
BOOK CLUB FOR GRADES 4TH-5TH
Please see Ms. Jenkins about joining the Bursch Book Club
HOW TO SELECT THE RIGHT BOOK
Five Finger Rule!
1. Choose a book that you think you will enjoy
2. Read the second page
3. Hold up a finger for each word you are not sure of or do not know.
4. If there are five or more words you did not know, you should choose an easier book
Choose a book that is a good fit for you!!!